What is the Christian View on Dating?
The Christian view on dating is a very important area of concern for Christian folks because they can’t just date like everyone else. There is a lot of pain, heartbreak, and cheating out there. Are you ready to date or date again? How should a Christian date? Let’s consider these issues one after the other.
What is Dating?
Dating is any social activity in which your romantic interest is focused on you. This romantic interest could be expressed by phone or face-to-face communication. Now, let’s consider the Christian approach to dating. The Bible may not use the words “dating” but it does refer to betrothal/engagement, sexual purity before marriage, and that God created man and woman to become one only after marriage.
Why do You Want to Date?
Everyone desires to have someone special. Everyone wants to be with someone who thinks they are special too. Before you consider whether you are ready to date, you have to know why you want to date. So why do you want to date?
Today, many people have a casual idea of dating. It is common to find people who are in intimate relationship without ever thinking of marriage. Some reasons people give for dating include:
• For fun (recreational dating).
• To boost self esteem.
• To avoid loneliness.
• To become better acquainted with a member of the opposite sex.
• To determine if two people want to get married to each other.
The last reason represents the Christian perspective on dating. This is because if you date with no intention of marriage, you are behaving like a child who gets fascinated by a new toy only to end up discarding it.
Am I Ready to Date?
It is better to start dating when you are old enough to understand yourself better. By then you must have known what to look for in a potential mate – 1 Corinthians 7:36 and Lamentations 3:27.
By waiting until you are older to start dating, you will have the time to master the intricacies (or complex nature) involved in the “bloom of youth” when sexual feelings and emotions run wild.
Getting to know yourself will make you better equipped to find someone who will complement your strengths.
What If You Have Found That Right Person?
Use the following guidelines to date in a way that is in line with the Christian view on dating:
• Develop the relationship along the lines of what you will keep your Christian image intact – Galatians 5: 22 – 23.
• Always use God’s Word as the basis for doing everything.
• Insist on group dates to avoid tempting situations – Ecclesiastics 4:9-10
• Engage in personal activities that reveal personal qualities – 1 Peter 3:4; Ephesians 3:16.
• Don't do missionary dating (that is dating a non-believer with the hope that you can convert him/her) – 2 Corinthians 6: 14.
In all, always determine that whenever you date (and no matter who you date ), you must adopt the Christian view on dating.